Wednesday, July 19, 2006

July 19th

Today is notable for two reasons: first of all London was officially as hot as the surface of the sun, and secondly, because it marks the seventh anniversary of me starting work at my current job.

Which is kind of bloody scary, because basically I've dedicated more time to this job than to any other part of my life. Shit! I've spend pretty much a quarter of my life there!

The more I think about it the more scary/worrying that is, because I don't like the idea of being stagnant doing the same ol' thing day in, day out - which I've begun to think I may be... But then again, where else could I spend my days writing captions such as 'Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge is perplexed by the intermittent flux irregularity in the starboard plasma conduits'?

It's the seven year itch, I tells ya!

All concerns about work aside, today sort of passed me by quite well... aside from a phone call from my Nemesis. He rabbited on for about 10 minutes about a subject that had nothing whatsoever to do with work, then said "why did I call you again?"

"I don't know," I replied, doing my very best to let my honest disinterest in anything he has to say shine through. I followed it up with: "*COUGH!*-nobwit-*COUGH!*"

"I beg your pardon?"

"Nothing - must've had a frog in my throat."

See - even after seven years I'm nothing if not professional.

2 comments:

Inexplicable DeVice said...

So, does this mean that if you don't get out now you never will? I'm coming up to eight years in my job - the seven year itch has well and truly gone. I'll be there for life now.

Bugger.

Unless... A slingshot manoeuver around the sun should send me back far enough to quit before the itch takes hold...

And, yes. Aren't work Nemeses (pl. of nemesis? help!) irritating.

Tim said...

I dunno... at the moment i'm veering between convincing myself this is a temporary blip to beginning to plan semi-exciting new ideas of my own. I'm generally a bit shoulder-shruggish at the moment!

I'm liking the idea of a slingshot around the sun... But I cloaked my Klingon Bird-of-Prey and now I can't find where the damn thing is!!

I don't have a clue what the plural for Nemesis is; maybe it's 'nobwit'? And yes, they are damned irritating. Do you think it's illegal to randomly pepper spray them?