Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Weirdy beardy

Did anyone see the first episode of the new Robin Hood on Saturday? I didn't, but I've just watched a repeat, so technically I did.

Shit wasn't it?

I sorta wanted to like it, but it was all a bit too cliched for my liking. Look - ta-da! There's a comedy side-kick! Look - they've made it all modern-like by having him wear a hoodie; Robin Hood, hoodie - d'ya geddit? Oh, what a wheeze...

And I know the BBC probably threw a lot of money at it, but c'mon... it looks like it was filmed in and around one crappy house set. Seriously, I half expected Robin to open the front door of his manor only to walk into the Sheriff of Nottingham's bathroom (who would, of course, be in the bath with a hair net on, comically clutching a rubber duckie). We all know Doctor Who is filmed on a Cardiff council estate, but at least they show the odd corner shop and the London Eye every now and then.

And talking of the Sheriff - I've pretty much lost all respect for Keith Allen since he unleashed his daughter on us. I was watching this, half picturing him with boobs, smudgy make-up, and wearing a ball gown, waiting for him to start singing about pimps and crackwhores. I don't know what's more disturbing - the fact that I genuinely could picture it, or the fact that I was thinking about it in the first place.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

Anyway, I digress. The real thing that I noticed about Robin Hood is that, in the same way that Doctor Who has got people wearing Converse trainers and pinstripe suits, Hoodie's fashion statement seems to be edging toward the fashionable beard. And by fashionable beard I don't mean like Mel Gibson's crazy beard. No, because it looks like he's in the process of swallowing Don King, which is NOT COOL.

Yes, I know that beard's have been around for a long time, but all of a sudden they seem to be catching on. They suggest something... Look how masculine I am; look, I really have gone through puberty; look, I really need a razor or some fashion sense.

And I'm not immune to this beardy sensibility. I've sported everything from a little bit of chin fluff, to a goatee, to the 'boomerang' (beard without sideburns or moo-tache), to super-massive Wolverine-style sidees (which, if I can find a picture of, I might be tempted to post). And I'm currently semi-bearded up with what I think is a neato sort of moo-tache/chin-fluff combo (it's not quite full on beard, it's definitely not a Craig David shaped beard). I think it conveys a certain slightly edgy, lovable rogue sorta look.

Either that or it just says spacker can't shave properly.

15 comments:

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Ha Ha! FIRST and all that...

What's up with this thing? Have you gone 'beta'?

Inexplicable DeVice said...

I didn't see Robin Hood - I saw a picture in heat which wasn't attractive (shallow, aren't I?) so I didn't bother. Your "slightly edgy, lovable rogue sorta look" on the other hand...

At the risk of sounding even older than Miss T (I am) in the last post comments: What in Christ is 'emo'? People keep saying it and I'm too ashamed to ask what it is. Until now, obviously. My curiousity won out.

Tim said...

Inexplicable Device - Damn right I've gone beta! I did it on a bit of a whim... and so far... you can publish without the spinny thing!!!

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Spinny thing? What's that? I feel like I'm missing out.

* rushes off to check Demon Box Innards for a spinning thing *

Tim said...

Whoa! You edged in again while I was replying to your first post! You're quick of the mark today!!

They say first appearances are important, so I think you actually made a good move with Hood. Doesn't he look like Dom from Dick and Dom too?

As for Emo... Click 'ere. And don't worry, I only found out what it was recently!

And the spinny thing... you know - the thing that tells you you're 66% published!

Miss Smuggersham said...

Or a spinny thing that tells you are 64% lady. That sort of spinny thing?

The only way I know about social fads is by nerding around on the net and entertaining conversations with younger relatives and students. I had to be versed in the ways of emo from my brother's girlfriend several years ago. Her explanation "they're like punks, but they listen to emotional music" I could add to that they pretend to be depressed all the time too.

Re beards: If I was a boy, that's how I would change my 'look' all the time. But as it is, I have a vast array of things to play with: hair colour, makeup, clothes, breasts. Seriously, I don't know how you men do it with just a bit of hair. But from a female perspective beards and stubble are very Lost style sexy. I can't speak for all females on that, though.

Tim said...

I believe I was only 48% lady, and I don't need a spinny thing to tell me that! Because the questionnaire did that for me...

Emo - EMOtional... oh yeah! Can't we give them all ritalin or something? Maybe take them to a show - that'd cheer them up!

Yes, girls NOW find stubble sexy, but years back when I was pioneering this sort of look they were all "Ooo, it's itchy," or "Ooo, it's scratchy," or "Ooo, it's cut me up and I'm bleeding out!"

Fickle, that's what I say: fickle!

Miss Smuggersham said...

All those emo kids need is a bit of Rolph Harris and a wobble board and they'll be as happy as larry.

As for stubble: We females will always find something to complain about if we want. If it's at that brillo pad stage, it feels like... well, a brillo pad. But there's nothing better than a pash rash. I heart the scritchy scratchy.

Ok... I think I need some grown up alone time now...

Tim said...

What a great idea! I'd say you should export him, but you already have!! And you can't have him back.

I suspected that the ladies would complain about it regardless; and then, when it's gone, they moan that I look about four!

Enjoy your grown up alone time!!

Devine Dora said...

Yes, I hate it and this why I don't play with those kind of people anymore.
Remember when having a "Craig David" stylee was the coolest? and then everyone sort of all at once just thought it sucked and suddenly no-one was doing it. Strange.

Recently a co-worker shaved off his Ali G beard look. He looks really weird without it. Everytime I saw him I would say "a'ight" or something stupid like that.

Tim said...

I thought having a Craig David stylee was NEVER good? Shows how much I know...

As for your co-worker - you should wrestle him to the ground and draw it back on in permanent marker pen.

I can't trim my beard, so when it gets too long or starts itching it just comes straight off!

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Ohhh. That's what 'emo' is. I guess it's quicker than saying "desperately trying to fit in with the other miserable fashionista clones". Thanks!

Ohhhhhhh. That spinny thing! Thank again.

Is Dom the one doing Brainiac's Test Tube Baby? Because if he is, he's cute! If a little... little. He obviously shouldn't grow stubble/a beard, otherwise I wouldn't think he's cute.

Dinah said...

What does 'happy as larry' mean?

Point: I like this look. It appears to suit the lower part of your face. And it's rough but not scary or sleazy. Those are NEVER good looks.

Miss Smuggersham said...

It's just a saying, I think it just means you are really as happy. Either that, or Larry was a really happy individual and we should all strive to be as happy as him.

Tim said...

Inexplicable Device - aye, that's what 'emo' is. It's nice to be able to give something back after the 'I don't know what spacker' means embarrassment of not so long ago...

What's Brainiac's Test Tube Baby? Dom's the one who looks a bit special. Dick was ... well, exactly what it said on the tin.

Incidental story: at a leaving do for a work colleague some years back we met a drunken Dick. Leaving girl asked him for a kiss, then proceeded to run through the pub shouting "I KISSED DICK!!!"

Amazingly hilarious.

Dinah - Exactly what Miss T said. I only know one Larry, but he's a top bloke and does always appear to be at least moderately happy.

And thanks! Although now I'm going to have to find a way of gently trimming it without shaving it all off. And hooray for a lack of scary and sleazy!

Miss T - We should all strive for all-round Larry happiness!