Friday, May 12, 2006

Mmmm… biscuits…

Upon discovering today that my baps had gone mouldy (I suspect it was something to do with the hot weather and keeping them in a filing cabinet), I had to resort to a quick alternative lunch courtesy of the cornershop formerly known as Bob's.

Thus I found myself with a Mars milk, a tiramasu-flavoured Kit-Kat, and a packet of bog-standard digestive biscuits.

Now, I must admit I don't really think the digestive biscuit is held in quite as high regard as I think it should be. This biscuit has something for everyone across its four varieties; milk chocolate, dark chocolate, caramel, and the good ol' bog-standard version. Chocolate on a biscuit is always a good thing, so I don't think I need to go too in-depth on the qualities of those versions. And despite initial reservations about the caramel digestive, I was soon won over; it strikes just about the right balance between being too gooey and not gooey enough, and the caramel has the additional benefit of increasing the biscuit's structural integrity when you dunk it in a cup of tea; it is, quite frankly, the biscuit of choice for dunkers everywhere.

Sadly, I think the bog-standard edition is somewhat overlooked in this day and age. According to the wrapper, each biscuit contains just 70 calories, and is a "great source of fibre." Crikey! It practically counts as one of the five portions of fruit and veg I should eat each day.

With that in mind, I downed seven (just to be on the safe side).

In all honesty, the digestive biscuit is a versatile little bugger, unlike, say, the Jaffa Cake; the original orange version remains without peer, but have you tried the new blackcurrent flavour? I really wanted to like them, but the whole thing seemed a tad half-arsed. Without the smashing orangey bit, the blackcurrent JC is like watching your favourite singer take a stab at acting - you really want them to be great, but they just end up looking a bit embarrassed and rubbish. Don't even get me going on the lemon and lime version.

(Oh, and for those who are still debating whether Jaffa Cakes are a cake or a biscuit, it's called a friggin' Jaffa CAKE. And by their very nature, biscuits sink in tea; Jaffa Cakes float. If it's a biscuit it's a witch biscuit, and thus deserves to die. End of story)

So there you have it, the digestive biscuit. A national treasure. And - damn! - I left half a packet in my desk at work. It's now after 11pm and I'm debating whether to drive back to Hammersmith to get them.

No comments: