Tuesday, November 28, 2006

When franchises collide!

I was a little bit bored at work this morning, and this was the result.

Oh, sorry, should've said: NERD ALERT!

-----

Yaz and I went to see Hollywoodland this evening. Now, this movie - which is about the mysterious circumstances surrounding the death of George Reeves, the guy who played Superman in the 1950s - was originally called Truth, Justice, and the American Way, which strikes me as a better title. Seems that they were made to change it by the studio that owns the rights to Superman; they also, apparently, almost made them remove all traces of the name Superman, and the 'S' logo on the costume, from the film. Which, quite frankly, would've made the film a bit odd. Because then he would've just been 'man,' and no one wants to see a film about some random man, do they?

Hmmm...

Anyway, it was quite good - more intriguing than entertaining. There was certainly something weird about the way in which George Reeves died, and quite frankly the movie leaves it to the audience to make up their own mind as to what actually happened; some might view this as a bit of a cop-out, but seeing as no one really knows what happened I'm comfortable being left alone to formulate my own conclusions.

And here's a sentence I never thought I'd write: Ben Affleck in good performance shocker.

Good grief, what's next? A movie about tap-dancing penguins?

9 comments:

Dinah said...

I love the multiple references to Jason Lee and then Ben Affleck. Is Joey Lauren Adams next?

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Having just read Dinah's comment from the last post, I now have this image of Ben Affleck lumbering and growling around in the movie, like a monster.
- I know, it's not that far off the truth.

I'd rather see the penguins...

* shudder *

Devine Dora said...

I vote the Penguins as well...and that is saying something.

You know I didn't even know what you were talking about with nerd alert....I had to look real close...before it clicked.

Duh...

Tim said...

Dinah - I'd not realised I was running through the Kevin Smith acting roster! But yes, a Joey Lauren Adams post would be good. I'll try to find something relevant!

Inexplicable Device - Ben Affleck as a monster...? Hmmm... Yes! I think he is!! In fact... wasn't he in the Sarlack pit in Return of the Jedi?!

Dora - The penguins look awesome.

And in other news - you're such a latent nerd. You knew what I was talking about!!!

Tara said...

Ben Affleck was actually good in that movie? Are the plants aligned? I had forgotten about that movie, but when the trailers were running for it, I figured I wouldn't see it if he was in the movie.

skillz said...

Affleck is in loads of great movies, like Mallrats, Dogma and Boiler Room.

AND PEARL HARBOUR!!! God bless him for saving Europe from the entire German army.

Tim said...

Tara - I know, bit of a shock, eh? I wouldn't necessarily say it's a movie that you should go out of your way to see at the cinema, but definitely worth a look on DVD/telly.

Skillz - Hot damn I LOVE Mallrats. Anything by Kevin Smith, actually - and that includes Jersey Girl!

Unfortunately I've not yet had the pleasure of seeing Pearl Habour, but it is on my list of things to do right after ... where was it ... Ah, yes - right after 'dropping dead!'

Miss Smuggersham said...

Dora and I were just talking the other day about how much we lerved Mallrats. I think it's the Shannon Doherty factor in that one. She's so trashy it's almost an art form.

Oh, and all you need to know about Pearl Harbour is the musical montage about it from Team America.

P.S. The nerd in me absolutely appreciated your picture. It's like something that belongs on b3ta.... you should post over there!

Tim said...

Mallrats is one of my ALL-TIME FAVOURITE movies! And Shannon Doherty is very good in it... I want to hang around malls all day...

Excellent - I shall watch Team America again to refresh my memory! (Been meaning to rewatch it again for a while anyway!)

You can post stuff on b3ta?! *GASP* I'm going to look into that then!!!