Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Shop till you drop

I've got the week off work. Christmas is approaching. What does that mean?

The annual Sparky and Sparky Ma Christmas shopping trip of course!

Ever since I got my first car this has become something of an annual tradition; Sparky Ma and I pile in my car, we drive to Kingston, we head to Starbucks and we plot what we're going to buy and for whom. And then we ignore that and go buy shitloads of stuff for ourselves - hurrah!

To be honest, we were actually reasonably well behaved this time. Hell, I didn't even buy anything for myself! But I did get Christmas cards, tags, and the biggest roll of wrapping paper I have ever seen in my life. Even the assistant in Paperchase muttered a surprised swear under her breath when I heaved it over the counter and she struggled to maneuvre it under the barcode scanner. In fact, Sparky Ma and I considered running down the high street whacking chavs over the head with it. It would be like a festive Grand Theft Auto without the stealing of cars or the explosions. Or the gang wars.

So, some presents were bought. Some ideas for others were formulated. A huge Nandos was eaten. Lots of coffee was drunk (red cups are back - yay!). Good times!

The holidays are coming, the holidays are coming...

6 comments:

Miss Smuggersham said...

That sounds like fun!!

Strega Mama and Raymond and I usually do the duties for everyone. And it turns into a beautiful dysfunctional day where one of us storms off in a tanty.... sort of like when we play a board game.

Mmmmm. Nandos. I made some coriander, chilli and lime Nandos chicken the other night. Ohhhh yeah.

Dinah said...

I love Christmas! I am so excited about it...I will be buying christmas decorations soon, along with gifts and hopefully candy cane flavoured hot chocolate. Last year for family reasons Christmas had kind of a pall over it, so this year is going to be twice as big.

Woohoo!

Tim said...

Miss T - Sparky Ma and I share a passion for relaxed shopping and browsing, whereas Sparky Pa and Simon know exactly what they want and do not deviate from their pre-programmed path of shopping.

Oh, and we've not played board games as a family since the infamous Monopoly incident of the mid-80s when I'd witter my money away, Ma would surreptiously lend me some more, I'd witter that away, moan when I lost, then I'd fly my toy Enterprise over the board, fire a full spread of photon torpedoes, and GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER!

Don't tease me with your Nandos unless you're going to share.

Dinah - I know what you mean. LOVE. CHRISTMAS! This is my first year in Sparky Towers, so I need to get some trashy decorations - think the Griswold house in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. And you definitely need to make sure that you have the most awesome Christmas EVAH to make up for last year.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Bah! Humbug!

Tim said...

It's inevitable, I tells ya!!!

skillz said...

Jesus Christ, an Aliens version of Monopoly would be fantastic. Instead of Go To Jail you could have Go Into Hypersleep.