Saturday, July 07, 2007

Live Earth

Has anyone been watching the Live Earth gigs taking place around the world? I've been catching bits of the London show from about 5pm onward, and I've got to admit that I'm a little underwhelmed. First of all, I'm not terribly impressed by the line-up, and secondly I can't help feeling that multiple huge concerts taking place across the planet sort of gives out mixed messages about conserving energy and doing our bit to prevent climate change.

Let's address the second point first. Climate change is, for want of a better phrase, obviously something of a hot topic at the moment. This might come as a surprise to you, but I'm not a leading scientist or world leader, so I don't want to go into whether it is happening or not, or poke a finger of blame in the eyes of those who may or may not be responsible, but let's take it as a given that something's happening to the planet. Recently here in London there was an event called 'Lights out London' in which major landmarks throughout the city turned off all their lights for an hour or so. Apparently it saved a shitload of energy which in turn cut the city's C02 output, if only for a short time. So today, how did we encourage awareness of climate change? By putting on nine massive gigs, each of which would've required considerable amounts of energy, as well as generating rather a lot of C02 in order to transport many of the acts to the venues by, in many cases I'd guess, plane. I'd be fascinated to know if, or how much of that, will be offset by the organisers.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for raising awareness because I hope that the theoretical children I one day hope to have will inherit a planet that's in a better condition than how this generation inherited it. But I can't help thinking that encouraging people to TURN OFF their televisions for six or seven hours rather than SITTING DOWN in front of their televisions for six or seven hours might've been a better way of getting the message across.

But then again, blank screens don't make for a good way of getting a message across, do they - because surely people would just turn over to another channel or stick a DVD on? Damned if you do, damned if you don't I suppose…

-----

As for the line-up, well, as I said, I was a bit underwhelmed. When I started watching the Red Hot Chili Peppers were playing. Hmmm, pretty good - I'm not a massive fan, but they sure can play. Things kind of went downhill from there for me, at least for a while; if I never see or hear Keane ever again it might still be too soon. I simply don't get that band, and there were a fair few bum notes throughout their set, at least to my ears. The Pussy Cat dolls were weird too; by all accounts there was a rapturous response to their performance, but I couldn't help agreeing with my bro' when he said that it looked like Al Gore had simpy rounded up seven L.A. prostitutes and plonked them on stage to gyrate sluttily at their leisure.

I was also perplexed by the addition of some acts that I simply didn't think could fill the space in that vast new Wembley Stadium. Corrine Bailey Rae? An absolutely gorgeous voice, but she wouldn't be my first choice to play such a gig*. She kind of looked a bit lost up there on that massive stage - a bit like a four year old performing in a school play who you're pretty sure is on the verge of wetting herself due to nerves.

There were some highlights, though; Spinal Tap really did crank it up to 11, although bitch-slaps beckon for whichever BBC producer decided to cut away from their set to show us some dodgy woman miming to eurotrash pop while busticating out bizarre dance moves in Brazil; this happened on several occasions, and it was VERY. ANNOYING. Ooo, the Beastie Boys rocked too; intergalactic planetary, planetary intergalactic, if ya knows what I mean!

The highlight of the evening for me, though, was the Foo Fighters. Yes, yes, I know that I'm a fan of theirs anyway, but they were the only act that actually made it look like they got all 60,000 people in that stadium singing and dancing along. 'My Hero' and 'Everlong' have surely entered the pantheon of greatest stadium rock songs evah. Oh, and the sight of Dave Grohl's little daughter watching from the wings while wearing massive ear defenders was possibly the cutest thing I've seen in ages.

Sadly, the Foos were followed by someone's grandma playing guitar badly and masquerading as Madonna (who is, incidently a hypocrite who has invested heavily in some of the most polluting companies in the world). Whoever she was, though, what's with her hands?! Are they subject to rapid aging or were they transplanted from a corpse? It was like that episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Captain Picard's hands age after he dips them into another time zone.

Incidently, 'Madonna' was introduced by Terence Stamp who lectured us on climate change and totally missed the opportunity to shout "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD" to a worldwide audience. Seriously, if General Zod tells me to cut my carbon emissions, I'm going to cut my carbon emission, no two ways about it.

To sum it up, regardless of what I thought of who was playing, I can only think that Live Earth was an intrinsically flawed, but well-intentioned event. It would be interesting to know how many of the 60,000 people at Wembley were there to support the cause, and how many were there simply because they wanted to see an aged crone sing 'Ray of Light.'

Sadly, I suppose the only way we'll find out is if the polar ice caps are still in existence in 100 years times…


*Sorry Corrine, I'm just citing you as an example because you're being repeated on BBCi as I write this. There were others who shared your fate, but I can't think who they were off the top of my head. Oh, James Blunt. But that's also because I actually kinda hate him. Well, there's no 'kinda' about it: I HATE HIM.

13 comments:

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Ooh, first! And this post kinda links in to the one I've just put up.

Spooky.

Anyway, while I was aware of such nincompoopery, I failed to see any of it - Yay me! Sounds like a rubbish line up, as you say...

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Oh, and from a scientific point of view (rather than a money-grabbing-through-guilt government propaganda p.o.v.) climate change would happen whether humans did anything or not. Most CO2 is released into the atmosphere via the oceans and volcanoes.

Like yourself, I'm not a leading scientist or world leader either. Yet. But, leading scientists not on government payrolls aren't so quick to blame human consumption for rises in temperature.

There. Rant over.

Except for this: Humans should still be careful what they do while they're on this planet, as before they know it, something else will quickly evolve to take their place amongst the mess.

Tim said...

I'm right with you on the Jennifer Anniston-style 'here comes the science bit' Earth-warming thing, and the fact that we, as the custodians of this planet, should do our utmost to look after it. Lucky you for missing the concert though; I kept thinking that I should turn over, turn off, or go and do something else, but sat there watching in the hope that something awesome would happen…

Off to read your spookily-linked post!

(By the way, do you want to be the leading scientist or the world leader? I think I'd look pretty good as a world leader, particularly if I have to wear a crown, but I also think I'd look good peering over the top of non-perscription spectacles and nodding sagely)

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Ooh, ooh, I bagsy the Leading Scientist! I already have experience with vats of bubbling, smoking goo. I wear actual glasses (when I'm not wearing contacts). And I think the name Professor DeVice fits nicely.

It's only natural that you'll be the World Leader. After all, you'll have experience after your stint as mayor of Londinium!

skillz said...

These bloody concerts really bug me, if only because most of the acts are shatty chart acts who nobody will ever remember. Though FFs rock; I saw them in the Millennillium Stadium and they suit huge venues.

Tim said...

Professor DeVice it is! And you may call me 'Sir.' KNEEL BEFORE TIM!

Muwahahaha!

Oops, shouldn't let this go to my head. I am benevolent, I am benevolent…

Skillz - Yeah, I tend to agree. I mean, Razorlight!? Good grief. The Foos certainly did raaawk, and Dave Grohl is the nicest man in raaawk!

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Kneel before you?! How very forward of you. I mean, we hardly know each other.

And Ben Volauvent? I thought your name was Tim...

Tim said...

Professor DeVice - Are you being rude?

True story: I was going to be called Ben before my parents realised it rhymed hideously with my surname.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Rude, Sir? Moi?! I wasn't the one who practically said "while you're down there..."

Honestly, I blushed so much that even copius amounts of fannage hardly made a difference!

Really.

Although, I suppose I should obey what with you being the World Leader and all...

Tara said...

Isn't James Blunt the guy who sings in a girlishly high voice "You're Beautiful"? If so, yeah I hate him too. I hate listening to his voice. Weird Al Yankovic has a parody of the song called "You're Pitiful". That's more amusing than Blunt's version.

Tim said...

Professor DeVice - Get your mind out of the gutter and back onto thinking about diabolical robots with which to conquer the Earth. And maybe a Taylor Townsend-bot for the world leader. Y'know, for, um, when there's nothiong on telly…

Heh. You said "fannage!" *snigger*

Tara - Yep, that's the one. I *HATE* him, and any parady is well-deserved. I know Blunty was in the army, but I reckon I could 'ave him. Particularly with the iPummel in hand!

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Aye, Sir!

The latest Destructomatic 3000 is nearing completion. It's mertiliser beam is giving me some problems, though. Do you know where one can find some self sealing stem bolts?

As for the Taylor Townsend-bot: Her upper... um... chassis, keeps going soft and mouldy. Perhaps using actual peaches was a bad idea...

Tim said...

I don't want to hear about problems, I want results! I believe the Noh-jay Consortium carries self sealing stem bolts - I'm sure they've got a website, google them.

Mmmmm… soft and mouldy… Huh?! Wha…?! Where am I?