Sunday, July 11, 2010

And … here we go

A few weeks ago I was chatting to one of the guys who works at my yoga studio and in passing he just said "you're good enough - you should do the 30 day challenge."

I replied "…huh?"

The 30 day challenge, for those of you that don't know, is quite literally 30 days of yoga. Well, not literally, to be honest: it's really 30 classes in 36 days, so you do have six days leeway in case you want to take a day off here or there to, well, die.

They usually push it in January when everyone's on a post-Christmas health kick. I'd actually thought about doing it back then, but was put off the idea by the simple fact that I didn't think I'd be able to get all my kit washed and dry in time (and not forgetting the fact I was snowed in for two days). It wasn't until it was mentioned to me again the other week that I realised they actually ran it all year long, which is perfect because my washing is drying in about four seconds in this glorious heat.

So, the idea stuck in my head. In the days that followed I grew more and more interested in the idea of doing it, started working out how many new pairs of shorts I'd need to buy, and, crucially, whether there was going to be a glut of decent films coming out at the cinema that I'd risk missing while I dedicated my life to yoga (turns out there's not). I started working out how I could get to the studio everyday - which quite frankly is easy because it's not far from work. I liked the idea of having a challenge in my life. I cleared my social diary. I've told friends I'll be MIA for the next four weeks.

I bought this in preparation.


I'm doing this, and I start tonight.

(OK, technically I could've started yesterday, but I had a rather late night on Friday - my last social hurrah for a while - so I allowed myself a lazy day)

I'm fascinated by what it's going to do to my body. When I did three classes a week for a couple of weeks I noticed more definition in my shoulders, so lord knows what sort of effect 30 constant days of it will do. And yes, I'm aiming to do 30 days straight; I'll only use one of my six rest days if I *really* need it. Starting today, I should finish on August 9th.

That being the case, there'll obviously be a significant drop-off in the malarkey quota here for the next month or so. But! I'm thinking I *might* try to write very short daily updates tracking my progress; no promises, but it *might* happen.

So, wish me luck, and in the words of Mr J…


6 comments:

Ponita in Real Life said...

You might get hooked....

My youngest brother is a yoga instructor and has his own studio. He's been doing yoga daily for years. Very lean, very flexible, tons of muscle definition... and he turns 49 in a couple months.

Go Tim! You can do it. ;-)

Inexplicable DeVice said...

I think you should post before and after photos, after what Ponita said.
Only, I do hope you don't inexplicably turn 49 two months after your 30 days are up!

CyberPete said...

You will have to do before and after photos. Maybe a weekly photo update so we can see the definition AND flexibility you are getting.

Oh yes, it's the only way.

Tim said...

Ponita - Too late - I am hooked!!

Inexplicable Device - Um, is this just an attempt to get me to do topless photos?

Cyberpete - See above.

CyberPete said...

It's ALL in the name of science..

Tara said...

I'm a few blog posts behind here, but I'm wishing you boatloads of good luck!! Boat loads. I'm not talking about the little sailboats. I'm talking the biggest ships they have out there.