Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Exercising my trunk: running club part deux and other nonsense

It's been a busy week so far, and it's only Tuesday. Holy crap - why do I put myself through all this nonsense? What happened to just going home and sitting on the sofa in my pants watching One Tree Hill? On the other hand, I should really stop complaining because I'm doing some really cool things at the moment.

-----

Monday evening I met up with the lovely Jo for a movie and dinner. And what special effects-laden blockbuster did we catch? Erm, none - we saw the 1955 film East of Eden starring James Dean. Now, I bought the book on which this movie was based only a few weeks ago, but I haven't actually started reading it. I wanted to catch the film, though, because it was a one-off screening as part of a 'movies that matter' season, it only cost a fiver, and I figured it would be cool to see such a big epic film in the way it was supposed to be seen. 

And what did I think? I loved it. It was definitely one of those films that I thought was good while watching it, but I can tell it had real depth to it because I've thought about it pretty constantly since. I can't wait to see how it compares to the book - particularly as the film apparently only covers the final third or so of Steinbeck's novel. And, as a bonus the cinema was not full of old ladies smelling of cabbage and having flashbacks to their teenage lust over James Dean.

Post film I had the fattest Nandos known to man. Jo's eyes almost shot out on stalks when she saw how much food I'd ordered, and she bet I couldn't eat it all. I totally did though. What? Don't judge me - I was so hungry I could've eaten the arse off a donkey!

-----

I bought a copy of The Times today - not because I wanted to look more dapper than usual while strolling down the street with it under my arm, but because it had a free copy of Freakonomics in it, which I've been meaning to buy for ages, and simply couldn't turn down for the price of 70 of the Queen's pence. The Times is actually doing a free book every day this week; yesterday was Everything is Illuminated, but that didn't really appeal to me. I don't know what's coming tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday, but if they look good I'm definitely going to pick them up. Damn – my book stack is increasing once again!

-----

I think I've found something to spend some money on: a freakin' huge canvas! I found these on Amazon, and there's loads that I like. Because they're so big, though, I'm going to limit myself to just one. I like this one, but I think I'm going to go for this one. And I think T-Bird should totally get this one.

I still want those jeans though.

-----

I went to running club again tonight accompanied by - and regular readers might want to sit down for this - Sweatband! After skipping out last week and then saying she couldn't make it this week she actually did turn up. On the other hand, though, she lumped me in with a speedy group before deciding to align herself with what I'll delicately call the 'older ladies' group. So while she headed out for a gentle jog and a bit of a gossip with the ladies, I found myself running into Richmond Park with some proper good runners. 

We started off with some warm-up exercises that consisted of jogging on the spot, skipping with fictional ropes, and sashaying from side-to-side while wiggling our hips. One of the ladies smiled at me as I did this and shouted out "you've done that before, haven't you Tim?"

F**k. Was it that evident that I paid such close attention to the last series of Strictly Come Dancing?

After the sashaying we were then instructed to lie on the ground in order to exercise our 'trunks.' My first thoughts were that I was either a) unaware that we should've come prepared to do some swimming, or b) a bit concerned that I was being recruited into Puppetry of the Penis. Fortunately it turned out that our trunks are basically our abs, and I'm all for working those bad boys, so I laid face down, careful not to rest myself on any deer poo (of which there is much in Richmond Park).

The exercise, which is called 'the plank,' basically consisted of supporting yourself on your forearms and tip-toes for about a minute. It sounds easy, but it's not. On the plus side, if you do this once a day you'll eventually end up with awesome abs. I'm going to try it, and if it works I'm totally going to scan them in and stick them up on here.

After that we hit the track for some interval training. This consisted of four sections, each lasting six minutes and featuring a jogging/sprint combo like this:

1. 5:30 mins jogging/30 sec sprint
2. 5:00 mins jogging/1 minute sprint
3. 4:30 mins jogging/1:30 sprint
4. 4 mis jogging/2 mins sprint

And let me tell you: it freakin' hurt. To add insult to injury, it's been a hot day, there was no breeze, and literally thousands of big flying ants were zipping around and bashing into my head. If they persist in doing that, I might have to go for a full body wax so they're just deflected right off me.

But I'm really glad I did it, and I feel totally awesome now. I think I might be on some kind of endorphin high or something, because I just want to keep writing 'awesome' (even more than usual). Rather than do that, though, I really think I should just have another drink then go shower. Awesome.

28 comments:

Miss Smuggersham said...

FIRST bitches!

Miss Smuggersham said...

Who's your Daddy?

Miss Smuggersham said...

Jeebus. The plank is messed up hard. It's a yoga pose - and I hurt for hours after it. A good hurt, though. You know your abs have had a work out.

Oh. My. God. You so *know* I am getting a copy of the colonial fleet to put in the study. Right next to Han and Leia.

Thanks for finding it - I am going to order it next pay day!!!!!

Tim said...

T-Bird the first - Goddamn, I love it when you do that!

T-Bird the second - to quote Arnie from Kindergarten Cop: "Who's yar daddy, and vhot does he doooo?"

T-Bird - Pleasure, dude! The moment I saw it I thought of you! Unfortunately for IDV, they don't do one of me.

The plank does hurt, but you're right - it's a good hurt! I actually want to do it again, but I think I'm going to let my body heal after all it's been through this evening. Think of me like Captain Mal from Firefly after he's been injured - all bandaged up and curmudgeonly. That's me at the mo' - but without the bandages. Or the curmudgeonly. So actually nothing like that.

Hmmm.

WillowC said...

ACK I wish I'd known about that book, can I borrow it after you??

But don't be mean to the flying ants, Disney will have your guts for garters.

Tim said...

Yeah, or just go into a Starbucks and ask if they've got any copies of today's Times left - if they're anything like the one I go to they'll have some stashed under the counter!

I hate flying ants, but thank god it wasn't flying elephants.

Tara said...

I was gonna go off on that Black Eyed Peas song and ask you, "Whatcha gonna do with all that junk, all that junk inside that trunk?" until I realized along with you that the trunk means abs.

Anyway! "Everything is Illuminated" was made into a movie awhile back, and the main character was played by Elijah Wood. If the book was anything like the movie, it would've been a good find for you. It was a great movie.

Dinah said...

Uh! So jealous of your newspaper/book combo. Freakonomics, if it's the book I'm thinking of, was a really interesting read, and very accessible. "Everything is Illuminated" is always, like, in my second or third tier of books that I intend to read.

When I've finally got a proper living place, I would love to put the "I Want to Believe" poster in there.

Miss Smuggersham said...

Tara, I agree. Everything is Illuminated was a lovely movie, but I liked the book even better. It was so funny! Have you read it?

Holy crap Tim! You're like Captain Mal? That. Is. So... Awesome. He's cranky and awesome. Just count yourself lucky you don't have an action figure, otherwise inexplicable people might do indescribable things to it.

I am so exited about that canvas. I'll be sitting in front of it making Dradis contact reports. Or sandwiches.

Miss Smuggersham said...

I'm not actually exited about the canvas. That sounds a little rude.

I'm excited. About canvas. And sandwiches.

Tim said...

Tara - I thought they'd made a movie of it! Wasn't that the one where Elijah WOod had some really thick glasses on?

T-Bird - Am I Captain Mal, or am I … Captain Hammer!?!

Dradis contact? Sandwiches? It's AAAAAAALL good!

Devine Dora said...

I do the plank everyday, does that mean I'll get abs of steel?

Also DO NOT the arse out of anything....esp. a donkey.

Miss Smuggersham said...

Captain Mal, Captain Hammer. It's all good. Let me just reiterate, you are so lucky you in are on another continent...

Anonymous said...

oooer that plank hurts, really hurts. I used to do yoga and always tried to slink out of the class before that pose. But well done you for all the exercise!
And what IS it with the donkeys dude? Now you want to eat the arse off one.

Did you know you can have images printed onto to canvas for a very good price. A friend has had a B&W picture done and it is awesome. http://www.photobloc.com (This is one of the places) They are gallery framed (thick edge) too. Worth keeping in mind if you have some awesome photos or artwork hanging about.

Tara said...

Yup, he wore thick, dark-rimmed glasses and a black suit. Someone recommended it to us, so my mom and I watched it one day and loved it.

CyberPete said...

The two Doctor Who ones are really awesome. Pity it'll cost a small fortune to have them shipped here.

I envy your energy. Be careful or I might try and steal some of it.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Ooh, action figures and a giant canvas of everybody's favourite body. Now there's an evil but delicious thought...

Until said canvas is released, I'm going to have to go for the Stewie one - Kill Lois. Brilliant! I love that Enterprise and Spacedock one, too.

Christ! I've just tried that plank thing - It doesn't half take some doing. We're going to be some totally ab-ed up bloggers if we keep it up.

Tim said...

Dora - Yes, yes it does. And don't worry - the donkeys are safe.

T-Bird - Or unlucky, depending on your point of view.

Watch*Paint*Dry - Donkeys are just awesome. *awesome*

Ta for the photobloc link - I've got a photo I've been meaning to have put on canvas for ages so that's just what I needed!

Tara - I'll keep my eyes open for it in case it comes on telly - that way I'll get the gist of the story without having to read the book!

Cyberpete - I think they're all awesome. I could quite happily spend a loooooad of money there.

Leave my energy alone! It's mine!

Inexplicable Device - You want action figures? Here's action figures for you!

The plank is awesome, isn't it? I'm going to do it eveeeeeeeeery day!

Inexplicable DeVice said...

I've done the plank twice now for a minute each time. I might give it one more go before bed. We're gonna be abtacular!

P.S. You foolish fool. Fancy showing me a website like that. You know I'm just going to get a mini-Tim just for me now, don't you?

Tim said...

If you feel compelled to spend 80 quid on a mini-me then by all means be my guest.

Just don't dress it in orange and silver - it'd look like a villain from Blake's 7.

Anonymous said...

Donkeys are awesome but you don't half want to do some odd things with them or in their name ;>

That website of figurines is so creepy, really. Although I may learn voodoo now...

CyberPete said...

Pretty please?

Pretty please with sugar on top?

Anyway I'll have to see when I've paid for my iPhone

Tim said...

watch*paint*dry - if you're thinking of who I think you're thinking of: DO IT!

Cyberpete - no. Unless you've got something to trade, that is?

missyandchrissy said...

east of eden is a really good book - i've never seen the movie, but now want to check it out!

and i find it hysterical that you referenced 'puppetry of the penis'...did you actually see the show? i had, years ago. it was, er, disturbing.

Tim said...

Missy&Chrissy - Cool! It's like a reverse 'put-you-on-it' kinda thing - you want to see the movie, and now I really want to read the book! When you've seen the film and I've read the book we should reconvene and see what we thought about them!

And fortunately, no, I've never been to see Puppetry of the Penis - I caught a glimpse of them on telly a few years back and was all, like "aaaaaaah - CHANGE THE CHANNEL!" but it's kinda been seared into my brain ever since. It's just *not* normal.

missyandchrissy said...

definitely - we'll give you a full report once the US branch of the east of eden fan club views the movie!

CyberPete said...

How about you give me some of your energy and I'll give you a pretty pretty please with extra sugar on top?

Better?

Tim said...

Missy&Chrissy - Sounds good! Although the UK branch may be a little longer in finishing the book…

Cyberpete - Pony up some cash and we can talk.