Sunday, September 28, 2008

Abort - ABORT!

In my last post I wrote about how I'd bought some honey to have with warm milk in the event that I got a sore throat as the winter months approach - and then promptly got a sore throat the very next day.

Well, thanks throat - you screwed my weekend up big time!

Bah!

I had a quietly awesome weekend planned, y'see, and it all went to pot because I woke up on Saturday morning - well, I say morning; it was probably closer to afternoon - feeling ridiculously gross and clammy. Within a couple of minutes of waking up I'd cancelled my plans for the evening (bah!), and was well on the way to feeling incredibly sorry for myself. The only ray of light I could foresee was the fact that the birthday present Big Bro and I ordered for Sparky Ma had finally turned up, and I was looking forward to seeing her open it. I texted her to let her know I'd be popping over later.

She then called me to let me know that she really didn't want me to come over if I was all gross and clammy and sore-throated-up which, to be fair, I couldn't really argue with.

And so I began my day of just watching The OC. 

About an hour later Sparky Ma called me and told me to come over; she'd been feeling really guilty about basically calling me "unclean" and "diseased" and said that I should pop over. Little did she know I came bearing her much-anticipated birthday present (which she loved).

After heading home it was more OC and a bit of reading. Oh, and learning that there is a prime milk-to-honey ratio and it all turns a bit bleugh if you exceed it.

Sunday's basically been OC overload as well, which is a bit different to the day of writing I'd originally planned; that fell by the wayside because I don't think I'm at my most creative when I'm gross and clammy. On the plus side, the sore throat seems to be on it's way out, to be replaced by its good friends coughing, spluttering, and snotty nose; bending over to get dinner out of the oven I was sure I'd stand up to find myself looking like I was in the process of inhaling a pair of shoe laces.

And so, with my usual routine of a Sunday night run obviously out of the question, I'm going to retreat into two more episodes of The OC, have a long, relaxing bath, then hit the sack early.

I'm such an old man.

19 comments:

CyberPete said...

Except all the gross and clammyness it sounds pretty nice.

Especially long relaxing bath and early bed.

I'm about to go to my sofa and finish watching Desperate Housewives season 4

And YAY FIRST!

TAKE THAT!

Inexplicable DeVice said...

* knock knock *

Open your window and I'll give you a nice hug better.

Oh, don't worry about me catching your germs. Puny terrestrial germs don't stand a chance against my supernatural defences.

* opens arms in anticipation *

Miss Smuggersham said...

Hope you feel better!

I am glad your Mum recanted - that's sort of a Mum's job description - taking care of sick children even well past the boundaries of childhood. I hope she gave you a Mum hug. They always make being sick feel a little better.

Once, just once I wish you'd open the window and let IDV in. Just once. We won't tell anyone. He'll just remote view it and Tivo it for later...

Tim said...

Cyberpete - I think I would've preferred doing what I'd planned, but if I have to be ill this weekend's been acceptable.

Inexplicable Device - *closes arms, closes windows*

T-Bird - She did! Sparky Ma is *amazing* in a sick-child crisis!

All my windows are shut!

Inexplicable DeVice said...

* clonk *

Ow! My head.

Bah.

Miss Smuggersham said...

Your day will come, IDV. Oh yes it will!

Tara said...

Ew, get well soon! That gross and clammy sick feeling must be going around. My nephew had a bad cold before he visited us, and then I believe he gave whatever he had to me, and now my mom has it.

Don't you love watching people open up gifts you gave them knowing that they'll like it? Good feeling.

Tim said...

Inexplicable Device - Look, our special connection! My window, your head! HAH!

T-Bird - Um, no it won't. Unless he's going to go all Misery-era Kathy Bates on me…

Tara - Thanks! I've been feeling a pretty consistent "meh" since Thursday … not horrifically rubbish, just "meh."

And yes, watching someone else open a gift is a great thing!

Anonymous said...

Snap!
I have been lying on me sofa since last thursday with yukky throat and general crappy illness and still don't feel good at all.
I want my mommy!

Inexplicable DeVice said...

I'm your number one fan!

* carefully arranges bird ornaments *

BEAST said...

Enough of this girly milk and honey , sounds like one of those nasty bubble baths for women of a certain age .
You want a shot of whisky (or brandy) , a good squirt of the honey , a pinch of hot chilly powder and top up with hot(not boiling) water . That will soothe your throat and sweat out the germs

Tim said...

Watch*Paint*Dry - Must be the season to be sneezy!

Inexplicable Device - *smashes bird ornaments*

*and IDV's hopes and dreams*

Beast - One problem… I don't drink. Plus, it sounds vile.

CyberPete said...

True, if you have great plans you've been looking forward to, it does suck to have to cancel.

I like nights in with a DVD, but I like staying in alone way too much for my own good.

Tim said...

Oh I do too … but I hate sore throats dictating what I can and can't do!

Miss Smuggersham said...

*carefully collects pieces of bird ornaments*

What? Oh... hope you feel better. I have sore ears.

*door slams on way out to IDV's*

BEAST said...

This isn't drinking Tim (Unless your allergic and I don't normally drink meself) .Its a medical emergency :-) .
A shot of alchohol kills the germs in the throat and gives your immune system a kick .
Failing that get some traditional non alchoholic ginger wine , that is great for a sore throat or a cough

Tim said...

T-Bird - Why do you have sore ears?!

Beast - Ah! A loophole! I think this cold is on its way out … but I'll keep this in mind for the next one!

CyberPete said...

I feel that if you make (strong) enough rum toddies you can forgive giving up plans because you have a sore throat.

Tim said...

I feel that if you make a strong enough rum toddy you could probably forget everything!